Saturday, August 6, 2011

Coconut Sesame Prawns

Pin It
Before I get into my post, I would just like to share that I have been having a lot of trouble with my blog feed updating on Google Reader. Many of my readers have informed me that they have not been receiving updates. If you did not see this post updated in your reader, or if you have never had an update from my site, please subscribe via email (using the subscription form on the top right of this page) to know when a post is published. Alternatively, you could email me at foofoofoodie(at)gmail(dot)com and I will add you to the subscriber list. If you are already an email subscriber, you may receive another email (from Feedburner) asking you to confirm your subscription. Please re-confirm your subscription by clicking on the confirmation link. I am sorry for the inconvenience. I am just trying to get all this sorted out. 

My husband is a really nice person. He is very helpful, doesn't lose his temper easily, and is very patient with me. That's not easy! But this week he did something extra-nice! When the doorbell rang early one morning, I assumed it was going to be some salesperson I was going to have to turn away, but instead it was a flower delivery guy, with the biggest bunch of roses I've ever received - 50 long-stemmed red roses, peppered with delicate baby's breath. I couldn't believe my eyes. What a surprise! And when I asked my husband what the special occasion was, he just replied, "No reason. I just wanted to send you flowers." Wow! Blew me away! Thank you, babe! You're the best! :)
Another one of the highs of this week, was when some friends from church sent me a bagful of beautiful, fresh, HUGE prawns for me to cook with. And they cleaned the prawns for me, too! How sweet! :) Now prawns are not a common thing in our home. I am the only one who really eats prawns, and so in all the years we've been married (almost 8), I think I must have cooked prawns 4-5 times. The legend goes that when he was a child, someone told my husband that the tiny shrimp he was eating were actually over-sized worms, and that's why he doesn't eat prawns. At least that's what his mom told me. He insists however, that he once ate a prawn and found that the person who cooked it hadn't cleaned it well, and he could still see the 'poop-shoot'. He claims this was the reason he went off prawns. Both interesting theories, but the bottom line is - he doesn't know what he's missing! 
I love prawns and don't miss a chance to order a prawn dish when we're at a restaurant, but I rarely splurge on prawns, because I don't feel inspired to cook for myself. I really appreciated this kind, and generous gift of prawns! Made me smile.

With prawns these beautiful and large, I knew I wanted to fry some. These are flavors I love with shrimp and I  hope you enjoy this recipe!

Coconut-Sesame Prawns
Ingredients
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tbsp corn starch
2 tbsp rice flour
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 large egg
90ml milk
4 oz freshly grated coconut
3 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1 pound, prawns (cleaned, shelled and butterflied)

Method
1. In a small bowl, combine the flours, pepper and salt.
2. In a medium bowl, beat together the egg, milk and sugar.
3. Stir in the flour mixture and beat vigorously till the batter is smooth and silky. Set aside for at least 20 minutes.
4. In a large shallow dish, combine the coconut and sesame and set aside.
5. Pick up one of the prawns. Holding it firmly by the tail, dip first in the batter. Shake off the excess batter, and the dip into the coconut mixture, pressing slightly so that the coconut adheres to the prawns. Set the prawn aside on a clean plate. Repeat one by one, with the remaining prawns. Let the prawns sit for at least 15 minutes before frying.
6. Deep fry the prawns in batches until golden brown. Make sure your oil is hot, and add as many prawns as you can in each batch, without overcrowding the oil. 
7. Serve hot, with wedges of lemon garnished with lots of fresh cilantro, with a dipping sauce of your choice.

I ate these prawns with a simple homemade sauce. I just combined 1/4 cup of mayonnaise with fresh lime juice, a few dashes of hot sauce, some de-seeded chopped fresh chilly and chopped cilantro. Everything was added to taste, and so I don't have a recipe for you. Just wing it. It will taste brilliant. I'm sure of it.
The flavors were brilliant. Think about it - coconut, sesame, lime, cilantro, chilly & prawns - how could that possibly taste bad. I really enjoyed eating this dish, but felt like quite a pig because I had no one to share it with. Don't worry. I didn't eat a whole pound of  prawns by myself. I used only 6 prawns to make a small batch for myself, for lunch. The rest of the prawns (another 8) have been refrigerated for later today. I plan to just pan-fry them with butter and garlic and eat like a little piggy again. 
Pin It

61 comments:

Maris Callahan said...

The prawns look delicious and that was very nice of the people from church, but your husband wins the prize!!!

ping said...

No problems with updates from you on my dashboard. That's how I saw this lovely bunch of roses :D
How sweet of your husband ... wait! wait! I need my husband to read this ....
The prawns look delicious! I can just imagine the fragrant coconut in each bite ... mmmm. And so perfectly browned too!

Gina said...

You are right he doesn't know what he is missing with the prawns, but he knows how to treat you, so I'd say he is the prize.  These sound so savory and good, I would have them for breakfast if I could.
-Gina-

feedthebf said...

Your husband is so sweet!

And I love prawns too!  So I would definitely be all over these =)

Dee Hurter said...

Great recipe! Lucky you to have such an awesome hubby and great friends! Sounds like you had a great week!  I cracked up when I read the "poop shoot" comment!  Oh well, all the more prawns for you to enjoy :)

sharizat shakmanova said...

i have to be honest—i have no idea what prawns are! well, until i saw your post and was inspired to look it up :) the flavor combination sounds divine! bon appetite! and i don't have problems getting your updates, i see them on by blogger dashboard, i do, however, have problems fining time to get on the www these days…it seems…

Carolyn said...

Can your husband call mine and give him some tips???  Great prawns too, I love sesame and I love coconut but wouldn't have thought about putting them together!

Emilia said...

Ýou've got yourself a great husband, lovely flowers! ... and the prawns look so good, my taste buds are going crazy around here. Thanks for the idea.

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

That is SO sweet - what a lovely husband - it must have something to do with the way you feed him!! The prawns sound amazing - YUM
Mary

Carolyn Jung said...

Gifts of huge prawns and glorious roses -- all in one week? Wow, now that's a week worth remembering! ;)

Myrna Chernick said...

Awwwwwwwww, your hubby is sooooooooo sweet!!! Roses, how wonderful=) And those prawns look absolutely delectable...mmmmm...coconut, sesame, lime and cilantro.  You made my mouth water Marsha!  Don't worry about not having anyone to share with, it's all good=D

Manu said...

Hehehe in my house it's the way around... I am not a bog fan of prawns but my hubby likes them!  He would really enjoy this recipe! :-)  


How romantic from your husband to send you flowers!!! And for no special occasion!!! <3

Lizzy Do said...

Oh, your hubby is a sweetheart!!!  I love prawns, too, and your recipe looks outstanding!

Kristi Rimkus said...

Your hubby is a keeper that's for sure! So are these prawns. The color is lovely. Nice and golden brown. Delish!

Priscilla-ShesCookin said...

Gorgeous roses - and for no reason at all - what a sweetheart :) Love coconut shrimp (or prawns) and adding sesame seeds is a winning combination!

Reem said...

You sure do have a very nice husband, lovely roses.... The prawns looks delicious!!!! In my home I was the only shrimp eater for long time but some how I manage to convert my husband into one too... Keep enjoying, you never know when he"ll become partner in crime aka shrimp feast.

Sandra's Easy Cooking said...

I must say those prawns look amazing and very delicious! How thoughtful of your love to sent you roses..very beautiful roses..he is keeper:)) ^_^

Manu said...

Hi again Marsha!  I have an award waiting for you! You can collect it here: http://www.manusmenu.com/orange-fennel-and-black-olive-salad <3

Jennifurla said...

what a super thing to open the door too! I love when a suprise like that happens, lovely meal too!  Sounds perfect.

theharriedcook said...

I agree :D Thanks for stopping by, Maris!

theharriedcook said...

It was really sweet of him, wasn't it? :) Surprisingly, the coconut was really subtle but still delicious! :) Glad my site's updating okay... Thanks for stopping by!

theharriedcook said...

:) You're right, Gina! :) Sounds like a great breakfast idea! I was just thinking of making some calamari for breakfast myself :) Thanks for stopping by!

theharriedcook said...

:) Thank you, Peggy! I appreciate it...

theharriedcook said...

:) LOL... glad you enjoyed it! I am truly blessed with a great husband and some great friends :) and yes, you're right about the 'more prawns for me to enjoy' though :)

theharriedcook said...

I guess not many people use the word 'prawns' :) and thanks - the flavors really were good... and I am so glad you're receiving my updates! :) I know what you mean about finding time... I find myself constantly wishing I had more hours in a day - and even then I know I would grumble about not having enough time :) Thanks for stopping by, Sharizat!

theharriedcook said...

LOL :D He's busy enjoying all the attention right now, but I'll ask him to schedule a call :) I put sesame in everything! It's one of my favorite flavors... I just realized my next post is going have sesame too! :) Thanks for stopping by, Carolyn!

theharriedcook said...

Thanks, Emilia! :) I hope you try this prawns, and like them! Thanks for stopping by...

theharriedcook said...

:) You wouldn't believe he was married to me if you saw him... He's super-lean - just bone & muscle :) most people who don't know us well think I don't cook, and that's why he's so skinny :) Thanks for your encouraging comment! :)

theharriedcook said...

You bet! A great week :) Thanks for stopping by, Carolyn!

theharriedcook said...

He is :) They are some of my favorite flavors too :) And you're right - it's all good :D Thanks for stopping by, Myrna!

theharriedcook said...

You should give prawns another try, Manu! :) I hope your husband likes this recipe... :) My husband can be really sweet when he wants to be :)

theharriedcook said...

Thank you, Lizzy! I will tell him you said so :) I was pretty pleased with the recipe... Thanks for stopping by :)

theharriedcook said...

Thank you, Kristi! :) I really appreciate your comment! Thanks for stopping by!

theharriedcook said...

He is a sweetheart :) I tend to add sesame seeds to a lot of things - I love sesame to bits! Thanks for stopping by, Priscilla!

theharriedcook said...

Thank you, Reem :) Any tips on 'converting' my husband :) I would for him to share in the deliciousness! Thanks for stopping by!

theharriedcook said...

Yeah - he really surprised me :) He is a keeper, for sure! Thanks for your kind comment, Sandra... and for stopping by!

theharriedcook said...

Wow! Thank you, Manu! :) I appreciate it...

theharriedcook said...

:) Thank you, Jennifurla! :) I am usually not a huge fan of surprises (when they happen to me), but this one was very nice :) Thanks for stopping by!

Kankana said...

Aawww such a sweet man :) I too married a super nice man and I feel so lucky all the time. And these prawns btw is making me drool! 

Baking Serendipity said...

Surprise flowers are my favorite, especially when they come for no specific reason :) I have never had prawns before, but should give this a try sometime.

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Sinful in my opinion. Simply sinful because you are combining my favorite seafood with my favorite flavor (coconut) and a nice little crunch from the sesame seeds! Awesome

Catherine said...

My daughter would love this dish!! The kindness of people is what keeps each day a blessing. I am sure you are a lovely person and well deserving. Blessings, Catherine xo

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I received the subscription email.  Thank you!  =)  Wow you've married to 8 years (mine is 6) and your husband still surprises you with beautiful flowers!  I'm sure you are as a sweet person as him.  Your husband's shrimp-phobia story was interesting.  Hehehee.  You are so lucky to receive bunch of prawns from church!  This recipe is a keeper for me.  Sounds DELICIOUS!!

theharriedcook said...

We are blessed to be married such nice men! :) I'm glad you like the prawns - I did too! Thanks for stopping by, Kankana!

theharriedcook said...

You're right! No reason is the best reason of all :) You should really try the prawns sometime! Thanks for stopping by...

theharriedcook said...

I'm so glad you like it! Some of my favorite flavors too :) Especially the sesame :) Thanks for stopping by, and commenting!

theharriedcook said...

You're right... And I am so grateful each day for my family and friends :) I hope your daughter enjoys this! Thanks, Catherine...

theharriedcook said...

I hope you start getting the emails properly... Please let me know if you don't okay :) Thanks for your sweet words, Nami... I had a lovely week with my husband and my friends from church... The recipe is a keeper. you're right :) Thanks for stopping by! :)    

Erin said...

What a great breading!  The flavors there all go so well together.  What a loving husband...50 roses!  He is a keeper!

Barefeet In The Kitchen said...

These look wonderful. I've never breaded prawns at home. I usually just saute them. This sounds delicious!

elisabeth@foodandthriftfinds said...

What a wonderful hubby you have to send you such beautiful flowers! You are so blessed!
This is the best coconut shrimp recipe I have come across...no others can even come close. Love the simple may sauce with the lime, and hot sauce. That would be my first choice!
I'm bookmarking this to make ASAP!
Thanks for sharing, Marsha!
xoxo

Amanda said...

Sounds like you're having a great week! I'm so happy for you. First roses and then yummy prawns! The look really good too!

Amanda

Kate@Diethood.com said...

WOW! What an amazing hubby!!! He gets a million brownie points for that! Bravo! 

The shrimp looks so good!! I have never had coconut sesame shrimp... that is yummy!!

Briarrose said...

Such a sweet hubby.  :)  Gorgeous nibbles....no one would be able to resist these.  Excellent flavors.

Magic of Spice said...

These look so delicious! And how sweet of your husband to send those gorgeous roses, plus your friends giving you the prawns...now that is a great day :)

Kathleen S said...

Super YUM!!!

Raquel @ Erecipe said...

I also love prawns your recipe looks fabulous,  i eat them together with mayo 

megan @ whatmegansmaking said...

I've never cooked prawns before - I need to try this!

Anne@frommysweetheart said...

I love coconut.  And I've always wanted to try some form of coconut shrimp!  Prawns are even better!  Looks phenomenal!  And your hubs......he's a keeper!  : )

Roxana GreenGirl said...

In our house I'm the one that doesn't eat shrimp or any other shellfish. Hubby loves them!!!
Oh, and those roses, what an amazing husband your hubby must be! 

Michele Gerhard said...

I'm new to your blog and want you to know that I'll be spreading the word all over Facebook as best I can about your wonderful blog! I absolutely love this prawn recipe - you've incorporated some of my favorite flavor combinations! Thank you!

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics